Friday, April 1, 2011

Best Concussion Story EVER!

March, 2011

Our 4H club is called Rough Riders. We usually meet at Dixie's house for riding practice. Not only does she have horses, but also laying hens, 15 or so sheep, and a whole herd of dogs! One day while at Dixie's riding, one of her Shetland rams, Douglas, managed to get over into the pen with the ewes. She asked us to help her get him back into his pen. The four of us tried working together to squeeze him into a corner so we could grab him by the horns and then lift him back over the fence. At one point I managed to grab for his horns as he darted by, missed, and just got a handful of wool. Well, Mr. Douglas didn't want any part of that! In a split second he turned around, butted me square between my eyes and knocked me off my feet. The world just about went black. I lay there, face down, with my head in my hands not caring at all that I was reclining in sheep poop. I thought I was going to be sick. The world would not stop spinning. My eyes began to water, as snot and blood poured out of my nose. When the kids asked me if I was okay all I could manage to say was "Ice. I need ice". I didn't know if I was okay. I didn't know if I needed stitches. I didn't even know if I had passed out. I just know I wouldn't be able to stand up for the next 10 minutes. I could see. I could talk. But my head felt like it was splitting open. All I could think about was how badly I wanted ice. It wasn't until I finally managed to drag my dissheveled self up off that manure-covered ground that I knew I would be okay. I called my husband and asked him to meet me at the bottom of the mountain and somehow managed to drive the curvy roads with a bag of ice between my eyes and melting water running down my face. I will never forget what it felt like to be taken down by a ram. They may not be very big, 90 pounds maybe, but they pack a whallop! I had a headache for the next two weeks, but hands down one of the best concussion stories, ever!



No comments:

Post a Comment