Thursday, March 18, 2010

You never know

You just never know what you will see/hear/learn/experience at 4-H meeting. The kiddos have been begging me for years to let them join and I finally gave in. Ike will be doing archery and rifle. He passed his Hunter Safety course with flying colors. It was a long weekend but he had a blast and we are very proud of him. I think we even found him a bow from one of the other fellow archery members. Both he and his sister signed up for rocketry and have already started building both their fly and show rockets. Izzy decided she also wanted to try her hand, pardon the pun, at crocheting and quilt-making. Maybe we can get her G-Ma to lend us her expertise. Anyway, at the conclusion of Tuesday's meeting, they had decided to demonstrate for all the proper way to castrate a pig. Yes you read that accurately. Like I said, you never really know what you're getting into when you pass through the doors of a 4-H. Remember, these are all mountain living, farm working, animal raising, down home people. Evidently, no holds are barred, so to speak. Imagine the rushed, whispered warnings to our kiddos as we saw the squealing 2 month old piglet being carried to the front of the room. Yup. Front and center. Yup. Inside. Yup. Front row seating. Yup. I had to take pictures. Just so I could share the experience. Now I have to figure out how to get them from my phone to my blog. Lesson learned...always bring my camera and always have it ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment