Saturday, May 15, 2010

Quilting-Part Uno

I totally would have to buy this cute wooden sign if I had a sewing room:


Izzy and I went to town to run errands today and stopped to look at some material for her 4H quilt project. We had to go to WalMart for a few things and thought we'd start there. They don't even carry fabrics (or at least that one didn't)! So, we looked at their mats and rotary blades instead. I Suwanee! I've made two quilts before but they were both baby quilts and the only thing I had to buy for those was material. Needless to say, I didn't realize that a nice size mat and rotary tool would run close to $50 alone. I was a little underprepared. I must have been wandering around looking a little forlorn and disgruntled because a little birdie whispered in my ear that all the rotary cutting tools and mats were half off at Joann Fabrics AND most of their quilting material was 40% off. Jackpot! Just what I needed! Boy that sweet birdie saved me a bundle! I didn't even stay long enough to get anything on my list and hightailed it over to Joann's. Izzy and I spent over an hour trying to coordinate materials and I think only the daisy pattern fabric was not on sale. Well, what do you know? The sweet lady that cut my fabric signed me up for email coupons and then gave me one for 40% off one regularly priced item. So, I ended up with a huge mat and rotary tool and 6 yards of material for about $50. Woohoo! I'm guessing we saved $40-$50. Yay! Thank you all my sweet birdies! I love bargain shopping!

Here's our cool-o new toy:


Ok, sew (hehe), from the left, we have a cream background with a faded-red stripe, which is also the back;
the second one is the one Izzy picked first and where we pulled all the colors from-
its a yellow-cream background with the same faded-red, green, and brown;
the third is two different shades of green;
the fourth (my favorite) is a brown background and 2 of the same shades of green.



And here is a picture of the canyon as the sun was setting and we were heading home:


I kept wondering if we'd see the bear when we got home. It reminds me of the book I used to read to my kiddos when they were really little...Goodnight Moon, Goodnight Mountains, Goodnight Bear...

1 comment:

  1. You did great! Yes, this is why I was saying you didn't need that, but it will come in handy. BE CAREFUL!!!!! you can slice your finger in a heartbeat! close the blade each time. Do not sit it down without closing the blade. Make it a habit, just like putting on your seatbelts. seriously.
    Nice fabrics!
    No, walleyworlds are out of the fabric business. Having had a fabric shop, I can tell you it's going by the wayside... FORTUNATELY, there are some shops specializing and of course, your local quilt shops.
    Have you decided on a pattern? I've been so busy lately w/political crap here, that I've not made it over. Just write me w/questions. Be looking in the paper for 40% off coupons there, to get your batting. I'd suggest cotton. XO

    ReplyDelete